crispy kale salad with lime dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (packed) palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 red Thai chile or 1/4 red jalapeño, seeded, thinly sliced
- 24 small kale leaves (about 5 inches) or 5-inch-long pieces torn from large stemmed leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups (loosely packed) mixed tender herbs (such as cilantro, mint, and basil)
- 3 cups mixed shaved vegetables (such as carrots, beets, and radishes)
- 2 cups pea tendrils or baby arugula
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
Microwave sugar and 2 Tbsp. water on high in a medium microwave-safe bowl until sugar is dissolved, about 30 seconds. Let cool. Whisk in lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and chile for dressing. Set aside.
Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 250°. Brush tops of kale leaves with oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets top to bottom halfway through, until kale is crisp, about 30 minutes. Transfer leaves from baking sheets to a wire rack; let cool.
Mix herbs and remaining 3 ingredients with 6 Tbsp. dressing in a large bowl. Divide salad among plates; top with crispy kale leaves and drizzle remaining dressing over.