cucumber & israeli couscous salad
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 6 to 8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 3 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ pound ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ pound cucumbers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, leaves separated, washed and dried
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-heat and add the couscous. Stir until couscous is beginning to brown and smells toasty, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add two cups of water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until the couscous is tender.
Transfer cooked couscous to a large bowl and toss with lemon juice, parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions and salt to taste. Add the olive oil and toss, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with lettuce leaves.