- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed salt-free herbs
- 2 medium to large eggplants, each trimmed and sliced lengthwise into eighths, for 16 pieces
- 1 pound spinach
- 16 sun-dried tomato halves packed in olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raw pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet
- 5 ounces aged Cheddar, cut into 16 slices
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Heat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine oil and dried herbs. Lightly brush each eggplant slice on both sides with herbed oil.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, arrange as many pieces of eggplant in a single layer as will fit. Fry each side until golden brown and softened, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer cooked eggplant to a plate, and repeat with remaining slices.
Rinse spinach in cold water, and place the wet leaves in a dry medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
Assemble wraps by taking a slice of eggplant and placing a heaping tablespoon of spinach on one side. Top spinach with a sun-dried tomato half, a few toasted pine nuts and a slice of Cheddar. Fold the eggplant in half so that filling is completely covered. Place on a large nonstick baking sheet. Repeat to make 16 wraps, placed side by side. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.