kale caesar salad
- 1 bag baby salad kale
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces hearty bread, roughly torn into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 6 anchovy filets
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 small white onion or 2 shallots, finely sliced
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°.
Combine bread pieces with remaining olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until broken down into pea-sized pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pulse once or twice to combine. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and bake until croutons are pale golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
Wipe out food processor bowl. Combine mayonnaise, anchovies, garlic, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice in the food processor bowl and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary.
When croutons are cooked, add onions, dressing, and half of croutons to large bowl with kale. Toss with hands until thoroughly coated. Serve sprinkled with remaining croutons.