smoky eggplant salad with yogurt & Mint
- 2 pounds medium-sized eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup plain whole yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh mint, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
Put the whole eggplants on a barbeque grate over hot coals. Turn frequently until the skin is completely blackened and the eggplant begins to soften and collapse, about 10 minutes. Alternately, cook them under the broiler. Set aside to cool.
Cut eggplants in quarters top to bottom and scoop out flesh with a spoon. Discard the skins. Chop the flesh roughly with a large knife or in a food processor. Put in a fine-mesh sieve to drain excess liquid
Transfer eggplant to a mixing bowl. Add salt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, and dried mint. Mix well then set aside for a few minutes. Check seasonings and adjust.
Put mixture in a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with mint and parsley and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve with warm pita triangles or pita chips.