swiss chard & Mushroom Galette
Whole Wheat Dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ricotta
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bunch large Swiss chard, ribs and stems removed, leaves cut into bite-size pieces
- All-purpose flour (for parchment)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mixed fresh tender herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, dill)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
For the dough
Pulse all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl; drizzle with vinegar and ¼ cup ice water. Mix with a fork, adding more ice water by the tablespoonful if needed, just until a shaggy dough comes together; lightly knead until no dry spots remain (do not overwork). Pat into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours.
For the galette
Preheat oven to 400°. Season ricotta with kosher salt and pepper; set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; season with kosher salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add half of chard, season with kosher salt and pepper, and cook, tossing, until slightly wilted. Add remaining chard and cook, tossing occasionally, until completely wilted, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; adjust seasoning. Set aside.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured sheet of parchment until it is about 14” round and about 1/2” thick. Transfer on parchment to a baking sheet. Spread three-fourths of ricotta over dough, leaving a 1½” border. Top with reserved chard, then mushrooms. Dollop remaining ricotta over vegetables. Bring edges of dough up and over filling, overlapping as needed, to create a 1½” border; brush with egg. Bake galette, rotating once, until crust is golden brown and cooked through, 35–40 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheet.
Toss herbs with lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl; season with pepper. Top galette with herbs, zest, and sea salt.