celeriac, carrot & Potato Gratin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 fresh bay leaves (or 2 dried)
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan, heat the cream with the butter and bay leaves over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic, carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery root and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring gently, until vegetables are tender, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in thyme. Pour into 3-quart baking dish, scraping sides of the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
Grate the cheese then toss with breadcrumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the vegetables and bake until golden brown and bubbling in the center, about 30 minutes.