marinated beets with pistachios & Tarragon
- 1 pound baby beets, trimmed and scrubbed
- ½ cup Sherry or red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dry)
- ¼ cup raw pistachios chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon (you can use fresh basil or a pinch of fennel or anise seed if you can’t find tarragon)
Preheat oven to 425?. Combine beets, ¼ cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ cup water in a baking dish, season with salt. Cover with foil and place in oven. Steam until beets are tender, about 40-50 minutes. Let cool. Rub skins off with a paper towel and quarter beets.
Toss beets, shallot, thyme, remaining ¼ cup of vinegar, remaining ¼ cup of oil in large bowl. Season with salt. Let sit at least two hours. DO AHEAD: beets can be marinated 2 days ahead, just cover and store in the refrigerator.
Toss with pistachios and tarragon just before serving.