Risotto with winter squash & Leeks
- 1 large winter squash (about 2 pounds, honey nut or butter nut), peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups (about) chicken stock
- 3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Bring stock to simmer in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to very low; cover and keep stock warm.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leeks and sauté until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot stock; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining stock 1/2 cup at a time, allowing stock to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 25 minutes longer.
Add roasted squash, Parmesan cheese and sage; stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.